Ellipsoid VI by Charles Owen Perry (1929-2011) is a copper sculpture located on Fulton nearest Kern Street
Ellipsoid VI is a brass fountain installed in a circular concrete pool on the Fulton Mall at Kern Street. Water flows up through the center of the sculpture and down in three streams, back into the pool. An ellipsoid is a shape similar to a flattened sphere. The earth is often considered an ellipsoid, as it is not a perfect sphere.
Born in Helena, Montana, Charles Owen Perry was an internationally renowned sculptor, architect, mathematician, educator and industrial designer. He studied art and architecture at Yale University in the 1950’s. From 1958-1963 he practiced architecture with the firm of Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill in San Francisco. Perry was awarded the Rome Prize by the American Academy in Rome and lived in Rome from 1964-1966 to study architecture and sculpture. Charles O. Perry has over 100 major commissions of public sculpture in the United States, Italy, England and throughout the world. One of the artist’s most famous works, “Continuum,” stands outside the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. He is also known for his award winning office chair designs for Krueger and Knoll International as well as jewelry and silver object designs for Tiffany and Company. Perry holds ten patents for his designs.
His work can be found in the permanent collections of Museum of Modern Art, New York; National Academy of Design, New York; Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco; DeYoung Museum, San Francisco; Contemporary Arts Society, London; Art Institute of Chicago, Oakland Museum of California Art, The American Academy in Rome, and the Smithsonian Institution, among other prestigious collections.